The ancestral home of dragonkind in the Dragon Isles will be the setting of World of Warcraft: Dragonflight, the upcoming expansion to the MMORPG. Get ready for a new era of high fantasy back in the world of Azeroth, with long-forgotten forces stirring. Do also read our interview with Patrick Dawson and Laura Sardinha here!
The dragons of Azeroth have long been central in the world’s affairs, guiding the mortal races and influencing events, for better or worse. With the reawakening of their sacred broodlands, the heroes of the Alliance and the Horde will need to face the surfacing threats and mysteries. Joining the fight will be the no-longer-dormant dracthyr Evokers, World of Warcraft‘s first ever combination race and class.
Dracthyr Evokers can choose to specialize in damage or healing. You will be able to design both your in-combat draconic avatars and the humanoid Visage with which to interact with the races of Azeroth. The class begins at level 58 with a unique starting questline, and may align with either Horde or Alliance.
All players will be able to learn Dragonriding, a new dynamic form of flight, accompanied with a customizable in appearance drake companion, later trained to soar through the sky more effectively as you progress through the expansion. Additionally, Dragonflight will see the most extensive updates to the talent and profession systems of World of Warcraft since launch, so that players can enjoy new levels of freedom and depth in defining their characters.
“Players have been eager to revisit World of Warcraft’s high-fantasy roots, and they’re going to find just that in Dragonflight, with a deeper exploration of Warcraft’s iconic dragons and a thrilling adventure into their legendary homeland. We’re also completely overhauling many of the game’s underlying systems to ensure that WoW® continues to offer the type of experience that players expect not just with this expansion but for many years to come.”
Mike Ybarra, President of Blizzard Entertainment
World of Warcraft: Dragonflight Features
- Discover the Dragon Isles: In their journey to the new level cap of 70, players will explore the primordial wonder and ancient secrets of the Dragon Isles across four new zones—the Waking Shores, roiling with elemental power; the vast expanse of the Ohn’ahran Plains; the frosty peaks of the Azure Span; and the majestic spires and temples of Thaldraszus.
- New Playable Race/Class Combo: Players will menace their foes (or empower their allies) as a dracthyr Evoker, WoW’s first ever race/class combo. They’ll design both humanoid and draconic forms, pick between the Alliance and Horde, and venture forth as a healer or ranged damage-dealer that harnesses the collective might of all dragonkind.
- Soar Through the Skies: Dragonflight introduces Dragonriding, an all-new skill-based method of aerial movement that allows players to take to the skies on the back of their personal Dragon Isles Drake. Players will customize their drake as they progress through the expansion, collecting more appearance options and enabling them to fly farther and faster.
- Talent System Revamp: The new talent system empowers players to make creative and flavorful talent choices without compromising their effectiveness—and most importantly, it gives them meaningful options at every level.
- Improved Professions: Crafters rejoice! In Dragonflight, players who aspire to become renowned for their crafts will find a host of new features and tools to fuel their ambitions, including player-driven work orders, new profession equipment, and an all-new specialization system.
- Updated UI: Dragonflight will refresh the World of Warcraft user interface, with improvements to the look and feel of the minimap and other elements, and new options for players to customize different aspects of the UI to their tastes.
Further details, including a future Alpha and release plans, will be announced there as development progresses.