Marvel’s Spider-Man has been released on PlayStation 4 for a few days (read our review here), have you enjoyed web-swinging in the New York City? As you complete missions and levels up in the game, you gain a skill point to spend. You will eventually unlock all the skills before you finish the game, but there are some skills that you should learn first to ease your game progress. In this Marvel’s Spider-Man skill guide, we will list out all the skills and give some recommendations on which skill to get first!
The skills are categorised into 3 distinct categories – Innovator, Defender and Webslinger. Below is the list of skills in their hierarchical order:
- Web Throw (1) – Hold Triangle to grab and throw webbed and electrified enemies. They can be tossed into other enemies or walls.
- Hazard Zone (1) – Web Throw knocks enemies down during wind up.
- Spin Cycle (1) – When throwing an enemy, rapidly press (Triangle) during the throw to continue spinning enemies.
- Wrecking Ball (1) – Brute enemies can be grabbed and thrown when webbed, affecting enemies over a wide area.
- Collateral Damage (2) – Thrown objects damage all nearby enemies.
- Extended Perch (1) – Takedown increases perch takedown range.
- Scare Tactics (1) – Stealth takedowns generate much more focus.
- Surprise Attack (2) – Upgrades Web Strike Takedown move so that nearby enemies are knocked back.
- Pistol and Baton Yank (1) – Hold Triangle to yank small arms like pistols and batons right out of enemies’ hands.
- Rifle, Shield, Launcher Yank (2) – Hold Triangle to yank heavy arms like rifles, launchers, and shields away from enemies.
- Yank and Throw (2) – Hold Triangle to hurl yanked weapons back at enemies with concussive force.
- Rocket Return (2) – Press L1 and R1 to throw rockets back at enemies.
- Perfect Dodge (1) – Press Circle just as your spider sense turns blue to counter enemies with a Web Shot to the face. Generates bonus focus.
- Perfect Hit (1) – Press Square just as an attack lands to generate bonus focus.
- Combo Booster (1) – Improves Focus gained at higher combo counts.
- Vengeance (1) – When below half health, attacks generate Focus faster.
- Dodge Window (1) – Increases timing window for Perfect Dodge and Web Shot Counter, making it easier to accomplish.
- Last Stand (2) – Slows time just before you take a fatal hit, giving you one last chance to dodge. Can only be used once per combat encounter.
- Payback (2) – Press Triangle after Perfect Dodging rifle and pistol enemies for an Instant Takedown.
- Chain Finisher (3) – Immediately perform a second Finisher on basic enemies.
- Throw (1) – Press Square, then hold Triangle to grab and throw an enemy in any direction.
- Ground Strike (2) – After leaping off an enemy or from air combat press Square + X to smash the ground with explosive force.
- Epicenter (2) – Ground Strike has a larger blast that can knock enemies down when used from higher elevations.
- Swing Kick (1) – Hold Square while in the air to Swing Kick enemies and send them flying.
- Quick Zip (1) – Web Zip a second time without losing altitude.
- Point Launch Boost (1) – Press X on contact with point to massively boost Point Launch distance.
- Long Strike (1) – Increases damage and range of Web Strike.
- Air Marshall (1) – Air attacks deal additional damage and generate more Focus.
- Air Yank (2) – Hold Triangle while in the air to yank enemies upwards and enable air combat moves.
- Bunker Buster (2) – Swing Kick will now knock over shield enemies.
- Blast Off (2) – Air Launch attacks knock back nearby enemies. Has a short recharge time between uses.
- Air Tricks (1) – Hold Triangle and Circle and press L in a direction to perform aerial tricks to earn extra Focus and XP.
- Quick Recovery (1) – Press X during a roll after landing to launch back into the air.
- Charge Jump (1) – Hold R2 + X while running or standing to build up charge, then release X for a huge leap.
Of course, you will need to unlock the 3 primary skills in order to unlock the other skills. Web Throw and Perfect Dodge are definitely important to get first as you will need to use them very frequently during battles.
In the Innovator category, I would recommend you to prioritize Hazard Zone as attacking enemies would be easier when they are knocked down. The Yank moves such as Pistol and Baton Yank are also important for easier combat.
If you are quite slow at combats, you should prioritize the Defender category and learn Dodge Window, so you can decrease the chance of getting damage. Payback allows you to dodge and instant takedown enemies, while Ground Strike is useful in crowd control (you will need this unlocked to access a few Research Station too).
The skills in the Webslinger category mostly helps you in aerial combat or make your transverse easier (and more stylish). You should prioritize Air Marshal, as it allows you to generate Focus and defeat enemies quicker. You can get Air Tricks if you want some fabulous web-swinging actions while earning EXP and focus, or you can learn Quick Zip to swinging around the city fast.
These are our recommendation on the skills, it is still up to you to decide on which skills to take first according to your playstyle. How is your progress in the game now? Leave us a comment and tell us! 😀