EA and DICE have announced that Battlefield 2042 Season will launch on the 28th of February 2023. They have also unveiled further details about what players can expect from the latest season in terms of maps, characters, and more.
New Map: Flashpoint
The first piece of news was a new map called Flashpoint. According to the developer Flashpoint was once a thriving biodiversity hotspot in Northern South Africa but has now become an abandoned development complex. This will be the setting for Season 4.
The setting is separated into six “flags” titled A1-F1 featuring a wide range of different terrain for players and their teams to travel across and different enemies and hazards to overcome. The main focus of the map however it more up close and personal combat with a lot of tight space areas to confront the enemy.
New Specialist: Camilla Blasco
Season 4 will also bring a new specialist to the fray. Hailing from Spain, Camila Blasco is a recon class specialist, an expert in ambush with an X-6 infiltration device.
She is able to move without alerting any motion-based technology. Her X-6 further allows her to block any lock-on signals from hostile weaponry. It can also interfere with active spotting technology as well as create communication dead zones until destroyed or deactivated.
Blasco will be the last specialist added to the game, making for a total of 14 different specialists. Speaking of which Season 4 will also see the game receive an updated class system with the specialists being divided into four familiar classes: Assault, Engineer, Recon, and Support. This new class system will also determine what gear and equipment the specialists will have access to.
No Battlefield season would be complete without some additional weapons to add to your arsenal. Here is a list of every new weapon being brought in season 4:
- Super 500: A stockless pump action shotgun that works well for both breaching and close combat. Its short range makes it good as a side arm
- RM68 Assualt Rifle: This next-generation assault rifle features a counterweight for improved stability and recoil control. It’s powered by 6.8mm plastic case ammo and has a built-in scope. It’s recommended for use in up close and personal battles which appear a lot in Flashpoint.
- AC9 SMG: A lightweight Submachine gun made for those that want to shoot fast. Its rate of fire is quick but the gun itself is quite handleable due to its smaller size.
- RPT-31: A prototype LMG that has a low rate of fire but heavy-hitting rounds and fast bullet speed. Its modern design means it does not require a belt fed giving it greater mobility with excellent cover fire.
New Vault Weapons
There will also be new vault weapons added to Flashpoint. These are guns made in Battlefield Portal that will now be available in 2042.
- SVD: This semi-automatic sniper rifle comes from Battlefield 3. It has a 10-round magazine and a good default zoom and scope. It’s good for long-range attacks.
- Type 88 LMG: This one also comes from Battlefield 3. It’s a lightweight machine gun with 100 rounds.
A new armored vehicle called the CAV-Brawler will be available in season 4. It specializes in close-quarters combat of Flashpoint. It’s equipped with a detection pulse that shows if enemy soldiers are nearby. Its detection system will also detect when you’re being attacked and can take out enemies close by with a built-in grenade launcher. It can also be used as a spawn point for your team.
The new gadget for this season is the SPH explosive launcher. It allows the player to shoot an explosive that will latch onto its target before blowing up after a short delay. It can shoot up to two projectiles inside one casing before needing to be reloaded.
There will of course be a new seasonal battle pass which will feature 100 tiers of free and premium rewards. Tier zero will include the Legendary Irish ‘Greenback’ Skin and Tier 100 would feature the Blasco ‘Fault Line’ Skin.
All of the new content in Battlefield 2042 Season 4 can be unlocked within the game and as with previous seasons, players who manage to get to tier 100 on the battle pass will earn enough Battlefield Currency to buy Season 5 completely for free.
Battlefield 2042 is available for PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, and PC.
Battlefield 2042 Season 4: Eleventh Hour will launch on the 28th of February.