The second free content “Birthday Bash” update for Sonic Frontiers was launched on the 24th of June, 2023 including new content to celebrate Sonic’s 32nd Birthday.
A new trailer containing details about the update has also been released.
Here is an overview of all the content that is available in the update:
Birthday Party Decoration: You can switch the islands’ appearance and Sonic’s outfit to a birthday theme.
Action Chain Challenge: Enjoy using Score Attacks across the Starfall Islands in this new feature. You can try to aim for a high score.
New Skill – Spin Dash: By fulfilling certain conditions, the new Spin Dash ability can be unlocked for Sonic. Spin Dashes allow you to attack enemies while moving. This will speed up your adventure to new heights, so try to discover how to unlock it.
New Collectable Koco: New types of Koco can now be found across the Starfall Islands. Bringing them to Elder Koco will increase Sonic’s boost gauge.
Status Map: Your progress, such as the number of guardians or Portal missions cleared, will now be displayed when moving between islands, during the island selection screen, or after clearing an island.
“Frontier Elite” costume: After fulfilling various conditions, you will be rewarded with the “Frontier Elite” costume. Enjoy Sonic Frontiers to the fullest to obtain this rare prize!
New Game Plus: New Game Plus can now be selected from the title screen after beating the game. This mode allows players to start from the beginning while keeping their skills and upgrades from the previous playthrough.
Additional Adjustments and Improvements
The developers also made several adjustments to the overall game based on feedback from players.
- The deceleration speed when jumping can now be changed.
- An icon will now be displayed when new content is added to Extras.
- Music shifts in Cyber Space caused by certain effects can now be toggled on and off.
- Adjusted the difficulty of the towers on Rhea Island when playing on Easy.
- An icon will now be displayed in Cyber Space results if an additional action or function was used.
- Clear times in Arcade Mode, Cyber Space Challenge, and Battle Rush can now be reset.
- The skill camera can now be toggled to best suit your playstyle.
- Sonic’s inertia before he stops can now be adjusted.
- The boost speed retained when airborne can now be adjusted.
Fixes for some known bugs have also been implemented.
Sonic Frontiers and the Sonic’s Birthday Bash DLC are available for Nintendo Switch, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, and PC via Steam.