Pearl Abyss is celebrating its 10th anniversary since its founding on 10 September 2010. Their flagship game, Black Desert, launched in 2014, and has since grown to 40 million Adventurers strong, with players in more than 150 countries, across four platforms.
“It’s unbelievable to think that Pearl Abyss’ journey began a decade ago. Time flies when you’re having fun.”
“We’ve reached dizzying heights and continue to strive towards making the best games in the world. One key aspect of our success has been the creation of our in-house game engine. This technology has allowed us to quickly scale titles like Black Desert across multiple huge platforms, all while delivering new content and exciting experiences to our Adventurers. Here’s to many more years to come!”
Robin Jung, CEO of Pearl Abyss
Black Desert, across all platforms, has earned nearly $2 billion since its 2014 launch with:
- 40% of revenue from North America and Europe
- 26% from Korea
- 34% across other Asian countries including Japan and Thailand
The game has continued to expand with new content including new classes, regions, bosses and more. Shadow Arena has spun off the IP, launched into early access May 2020: an action-packed PvP that takes place in the Black Desert universe has expanded alongside its sister game.
In 2018, Pearl Abyss acquired CCP Games, an Icelandic video game developer known for developing and publishing a massive sci-fi MMO EVE Online. Since the acquisition, CCP has continued to expand EVE Online with their “EVE in Quadrants” initiative. Recently, CCP released EVE Echoes, the mobile version of EVE Online, with 5 million pre-registrations.
Pearl Abyss is currently developing the three new projects: ‘Crimson Desert’, ‘DokeV’, and ‘PLAN 8’ along with the next-generation game engine.
- Crimson Desert is an epic fantasy MMORPG based on the untold tales of mercenaries struggling to survive in the unforgiving land of Pywell.
- DokeV is an open-world MMO filled with intriguing stories and set within a unique and vibrant world, challenging players to collect creatures as they progress and build their characters. Learn more about it here.
- PLAN 8 is an MMO shooter, with players operating an enormous exosuit granting them special fighting and traversal abilities. For updates on PLAN 8, follow the game’s development here.
Discussion about this post