At the virtual AnimeJapan 2021 event, Netflix shows its ongoing commitment to anime for both fans and creators, with around 40 new original anime to premiere on the streaming platform this year: close to double the number of titles brought to fans last year.
Titles announced at the virtual stage include:
- Record of Ragnarok (June 2021)
- The Way of the Househusband (8 April 2021)
- Resident Evil: Infinite Darkness (2021)
- Yasuke (29 April 2021)
- Eden (27 May 2021)
“Record of Ragnarok” is the story of 13 gods from across the globe and 13 of the world’s most notable humans fighting it out in one-on-one battles to decide the fate of humanity. Based on the manga created by Azychika, Shinya Umemura and Takumi Fukui, an earnest battle of transcendental rage begins!
Based on the manga by Azychika, Shinya Umemura, Takumi Fukui;
- Director: Masao Okubo
- Series Composition: Kazuyuki Fudeyasu
- Character Design: Masaki Sato
- Music: Koji Takanashi
- Animation Production: GRAPHINICA
- Voice Cast: Miyuki Sawashiro, Tomoyo Kurosawa, Tomokazu Seki, Hikaru Midorikawa, Wataru Takagi
In a war-torn feudal Japan filled with mechs and magic, the greatest ronin never known, Yasuke, struggles to maintain a peaceful existence after a past life of violence. But when a local village becomes the center of social upheaval between warring daimyo, Yasuke must take up his sword and transport a mysterious child who is the target of dark forces and bloodthirsty warlords.
- Director, Creator, Executive Producer: LeSean Thomas (Cannon Busters)
- Character Design: Takeshi Koike
- Music & Executive producer: Flying Lotus
- Animation Production: MAPPA
- Voice Cast (Yasuke) & Executive Producer: LaKeith Stanfield
Thousands of years in the future, a city known as “Eden” is inhabited solely by Artificially Intelligent robots whose former masters vanished long ago. On a routine assignment, within the depths of the city, two maintenance robots accidentally awaken a human baby girl from stasis questioning all they were taught to believe– that humans were nothing more than a forbidden ancient myth. Together, the two robots secretly raise the child in a safe haven outside Eden.
- Director: Yasuhiro Irie (Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood)
- Producer: Justin Leach
- Character design: Toshihiro Kawamoto
- Concept design: Christophe Ferreira
- Screenplay: Kimiko Ueno
- Background art director: Clover Xie
- Music: Kevin Penkin
- Animation Production: CGCG
Feared among the yakuza as “The Immortal Dragon”, Tatsu is a legend of the underworld with an impressive number of defeated rival gangs under his belt. However, hoping to wash his hands of his past, Tatsu gets married and devotes himself fully to the way of the househusband by diligently undertaking the cooking, cleaning, washing and grocery shopping each day. On the other hand, there’s one person who’s not happy about Tatsu’s new domestic life — his tough, former yakuza underling, Masa. As Tatsu tries his best to pursue the way of the househusband, one assassin after another tries their hand at taking him out!
Based on a story by Kosuke Oono;
- Director: Chiaki Kon (Nodame Cantabile, Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal)
- Series Composition: Susumu Yamakawa
- Theme Song performed by UchikubiGokumonDoukoukai
- Opening song, Shufu no michi / ending song, ”Kiwami”meoto kaido
- Animation Production: J.C.STAFF
- Cast: Kenjiro Tsuda, Shizuka Ito, Kazuyuki Okitsu
In 2006, there were traces of improper access to secret Presidential files found in the White House’s network. American federal agent Leon S. Kennedy is among the group invited to the White House to investigate this incident, but when the lights suddenly go out, Leon and the SWAT team are forced to take down a horde of mysterious zombies. Meanwhile, TerraSave staff member Claire Redfield encounters a mysterious image drawn by a youth in a country she visited, while providing support to refugees. Haunted by this drawing, which appears to be of a victim of viral infection, Claire starts her own investigation. The next morning, Claire visits the White House to request the construction of a welfare facility. There, she has a chance reunion with Leon and uses the opportunity to show him the boy’s drawing. Leon seems to realise some sort of connection between the zombie outbreak at the White House and the strange drawing, but he tells Claire that there is no relation and leaves. In time, these two zombie outbreaks in distant countries lead to events that shake the nation to its very core.
- Original Work/Production/Supervision: Capcom Co., Ltd.
- Full 3DCG animation production: Quebico
- Production: TMS Entertainment