Since the launch of Street Fighter V, you could say Capcom has been working on improving this title more than the others within the series. In four years, the DLC has grown twice as large, alongside various gameplay tweaks and additions for arcade and challenge modes. Street Fighter V: Champion Edition is the compilation of the entire thing to make it one of the best games yet in the franchise!
CHOOSE YOUR CHAMPION FROM 40 FIGHTERS!
Rule the ring with Street Fighter V: Champion Edition, the most robust version of the acclaimed fighting game! Choose from 40 diverse fighters, 34 dynamic stages and over 200 stylish costumes as you fight your way through a variety of exciting single-player and multi-player modes. READY? FIGHT!
These are the words of Capcom for this Champion Edition, throwing in all the original fighters and previous DLC of Street Fighter V. In this edition, you can get Seth, for that 40 even! Even if not everyone is here quite yet, that 40 strong roster is still packed enough with variety so that there’s a character for everyone!
CHOOSE YOUR FIGHT!
Take your pick from a variety of game modes that include PVP, PVP Online Matchmaking, Tour, Arcade, Missions and so forth.
- Arcade Mode
- Arcade mode will see you move through fighter after fighter, with six different “routes” compared to the previous Street Fighter. Characters and number of stages will differ between the routes, and there’s also bonus stages and additional missions to boot. Likewise, the ending will be different based on your chosen route, even if you use the same character. Any endings you’ve unlocked can be seen in the Gallery. You can have “Fight Requests” active as you play.
- Arcade mode scores will be recorded on the ladder that will be reset monthly. If you manage to reach the target goal, players will be able to receive rewards such like titles.
- Story Mode
- Follow a fighter’s story through “A Shadow Falls”, an adventure that will take them almost all over the world
- There’s a “general story” of sorts, a cinematic scenario which puts you into a character from the base game. This is best suited for beginners as it starts out simple and gradually ramps up as the action also starts getting going in the story. Players can also get a feel of the characters they play through in this mode
- Play against a friend or a CPU. As you might expect, just slug it out against each other with your chosen character on a stage you prefer
- Team Battles
- Make a team of 2 to 5 players and battle it out between the Blue Team vs Red Team. You can pick this option from the Main Menu to Versus, then pick Team instead of Single. The “Elimination” format will see the winner stay on until they lose, or a “Best of” format where teams can fight until they reach the scoreline first. Rules regarding things like the life gauge and such can also be set
- Self-explanatory: get in here to get the feel of your character’s moves and figure out how to utilize them
- These challenges will always rotate, so if you want to clear time-limited missions and get some competitive experience, then get in here and throw those punches!
- Fighting Chance
- Use your winnings for items for use in the Challenges mode, or get character art and any additional costumes
- V-SKILLS 1 AND 2
- V-Skills can give more choice and depth to the fighting system, with V-Skill 2 being unique to each character and can turn the tides completely. It’s definitely one to watch out for should you go up against an opponent able to use their V-Skill!
There’s plenty of unlocks you can do even in the Arcade mode alone, with each character having a manga style page for their ending, on top of the various costumes you could look to unlock.
CHOOSE YOUR FIGHT – ONLINE!
There are three battles you can choose from the Street Fighter VS Network Battles.
- Ranked Match
- Battle against other players to get League Points (LP)
- Battle Lounge
- Make a room with seven other players and set the rules. No LP can be gained here
- Casual Match
- Fight against another player without risking any LP
You can also opt to turn on Network Fight Request to battle others for Ranked or Casual matches when you’re in other modes. Keep in mind if you disconnect during online matches, it will penalize your LP and restrict matchmaking for a period of time. For serial disconnects or rage quitters, they will even get a special icon on their profile to mark them as such.
CHOOSE YOUR FUN!
Overall, the gameplay is as fun and solid as ever, with every character naturally having their own advantages to fit a playstyle. Champion Edition gives the characters more stability, with more precise and smoother movements. With the addition of V-Skill II, the list of characters and all sorts of costumes, there’s plenty to pick and choose from to work on mastery.
If you missed on getting the original Street Fighter V, or even the Arcade Edition, then get it all in the Champion Edition with everything all nicely packed in for you.