Risk of Rain Returns is a remake of our original 2013 release Risk of Rain. For those of you unfamiliar with the original, Risk of Rain Returns is a 2d multiplayer action platformer with roguelike elements. Stranded on a strange planet waves of alien monsters randomly spawn and attack you.
The strength of these enemies increases in difficulty as time passes so you have to balance between grabbing items to increase your power and racing through the multiple stages as fast as you can to stay ahead of the curve.
For those of you who are familiar with Risk of Rain – don’t think this is just a lick of paint on an old classic – Risk of Rain Returns completely overhauls the original and introduces a ton of new content.
- Updated Codebase – We’ll be able to continue to update and add to the game with features that weren’t previously possible
- All Risk of Rain 1 content returning with glorious new HD pixel art
- Enhanced Audio – including updated SFX & Chris Christodoulou is returning for some additional music tracks!
- Countless rebalancing and gameplay tweaks – a smoother “gameplay feel” without losing that legendary Risk of Rain challenge
- New Survivors – more on these in a future Dev Thoughts!
- New Survivor Abilities – every character now has unlockable alternate abilities to customise your build!
- New Items – some returning from RoR2, some entirely new!
- New Enemies
- New Interactables
- New Stage Variants – even RoR1 veterans will have to explore again!
- Revamped Multiplayer – PC version is fully integrated into Steam – no more messing with router settings!!!
The developer blog post says that though Gearbox Software purchased the Risk of Rain IP, Hopoo Games will remain the developer of the IP, alongside Gearbox’s development and publishing contributions. If you’re interested in the series, then look forward to it.