Some Nintendo Switch users may be finding themselves “banned”, coming across the Error Code 2181-4008. The brief description regarding the error on Nintendo’s support page states:
- You are unable to access online services on Nintendo Switch and receive error code 2181-4008.
- Message: “The use of online services on this console is currently restricted by Nintendo.”
They are not offering any solutions either as:
- This error code indicates that the Nintendo Switch console you are using has been permanently banned from connecting to the internet due to a breach of the user agreements.
- A breach of user agreements may include, but is not limited to, activities such as:
- Fraudulent or unauthorised transactions
- Violation of the Nintendo Code of Conduct
Obviously, some of the easiest ways to avoid getting this problem, offered by Impulse Gaming, include:
- Purchasing physical copies of your games
- Purchasing from the e-shop directly
- Avoid buying digital shared accounts or games online
🚫 AVOID BEING BANNED!.➡️ Purchase physical copy➡️ Purchase from E-Shop➡️ Avoid buying digital shared account/…
So far, there has been no indication of accounts under a Nintendo Switch Online Family Plan receiving the 2181-4008 error, unless someone under the plan is being shady. Nintendo had announced that buying or selling Animal Crossing: New Horizons villagers (hello, Raymond) with real money – typically referred to as RMT / Real Money Trading – is also a breach of terms, so some users who have done so may have been affected by the error as well. Modding the device may also cause the error. In any case, if you think you might have been mistakenly banned, there would be no other course of action besides attempting to contact Nintendo Support.