In the Monster Hunter series, the different weapon type plays an important role, each possessing intricate mechanics and a distinct identity and the augmented reality-based Monster Hunter Now is no exception.
While Monster Hunter Now scales back the usual 14 weapon roster to only a choice of 6, not all of them are accessible right at the start. So here we have a quick guide on how to unlock them so you can embrace the diverse choice of weapon types.
How to Unlock All the Weapon Types
In Monster Hunter Now, all weapons are craftable but the different types are locked behind your progression with the exception of the Sword and Shield which are unlocked right from the start.
As such, you will have to progress through the main questline to unlock the other 5 weapon types, and once you do so, you can then craft the weapon and upgrade it.
As mentioned, you will only be able to use the Sword and Shield at the start of the game for the first few levels. However, once you progress to Chapter 2: Shimmering Swamp of the main story, the Great Sword category will be unlocked and available to be crafted.
Once you complete Chapter 2, the rest of the weapons will then be unlocked for you to craft and upgrade. However, you might also have to progress to HR 15 as there were reports of players not unlocking any weapon types before the rank.
To summarize, you will have to clear up to Chapter 3 and be at HR 15 to unlock all the available weapons at release and they are as follows:
- Chapter 1 – Sword and Shield
- Chapter 2 – Great Sword
- Chapter 3 – Long Sword, Hammer, Light Bowgun, Bow
Which Weapon Type to Main
As I previously mentioned, each of the weapon types has its own intricate mechanic and genuinely feels different to play. This means that everyone would have their own preferred weapon type to match their usual play style.
If you are new to the Monster Hunter series, the weapons’ playstyle can be described as follows:
- Sword and Shield – Extremely versatile weapon that can hit fast and dodge at a moment’s notice while still having a shield to block incoming attacks.
- Great Sword – Slow but extremely hard-hitting weapon that forces its wielder to stand and charges for more devastating damage.
- Long Sword – Hunters can build up the Spirit Gauge to further enhance its damage and the weapon has multiple counter-attack moves.
- Hammer – Similar to the Great Sword but grants the hunter the ability to move around while charging before unleashing a powerful slam that can stun a monster.
- Light Bowgun – A ranged weapon that is suitable for players who prefer to keep a distance from their enemy.
- Bow – Another ranged weapon that gives hunters evasive movements as they charge their shot to deal more damage.
While each weapon type may be distinctive from one another, you can actually build one of each weapon so do not worry about missing out and sticking to a single category.
If you are a fan of the series and wonder how Monster Hunter Now plays, you can check out our first impression here.