GameStart Asia, Singapore’s largest and longest-running gaming event returns for its sixth year in GameStart 2019 (#GameStart2019)! The event will be held at the Suntec Convention Center on 12 and 13 October. With esports being a medaled event in the 2019 Southeast Asian Games, the gaming ecosystem is abuzz! Organizer Eliphant will also be unveiling several announcements, so stay tuned!
Since the inaugural event in 2014 with only 12,000 attendees, GameStart has since seen 100,000 gamers, esports atheletes and cosplayers over its 5 year history! SEA MAJOR has called GameStart its home since 2016, and it returns to host some of the most prestigious fighting game tournaments in the world. 2018’s SEA MAJOR saw over 400 participants, reaching over 25 million minutes watched on Twitch alone, 2.6 million video plays across 1.6 million devices. GameStart has since forged long term partnerships with renowned platforms like Taipei Game Show, BIC Fest, Game Prime Asia and BitSummit. Local and international gaming communities can connect in events like these!
This year’s GameStart brings the theme of “Asian Mythology”. There’ll be blockbuster games, esports, indie games, tabletop gaming, cosplay and special guest appearances from various industry segments for visitors! GameStart has become recognized as a platform where brands and game publishers can announce and showcase products to consumers. Announcements and product launches are confirmed for GameStart 2019, so stay tuned closer to the date!
There’ll be new things to check out! The Castle is here for the first time, where visitors can enjoy a themed adventure room created exclusively for GameStart 2019! Get a party or 4 or join a random group to explore one of two story-based routes. Make your clan proud and find the sealed demon in the abandoned castle!
Also new is the GameStart Demo Zone. It will host new and upcoming games for the PS4 and Nintendo Switch. Tokyo RPG’s latest title, ONINAKI, Ubisoft’s Just Dance 2020 and more will be present, keep an eye out! Publishers Marvel, Bandai Namco Entertainment Asia, Arc System Works and Square Enix will have games showcased too.
Returning favourites include:
- Tabletop Zone – Though niche, the global board games market has seen astronomical growth in the last 3 to 4 years! It’ll be on track to be worth US$12 billion by 2023. Introduced in GameStart 2017, local and international exhibitors will be present! Moaideas from Taiwan and Asobi, a concept store for hobby enthusiasts carrying “Fate/Grand Order -collection figure-” items will be there. Newcomers can try out games at the Open Gaming area with the help of Game Masters. Pre-register for free sessions here!
- Artists and the creative scene will be at Doujin Market x GameStart 2019! This collaboration with the largest artist convention in the region provides chances for SEA artists to showcase and sell their creations to visitors. Doujima x GameStart Artist Alley returns for the fourth year to make art accessible to video game fans while promoting local and regional creator works. Over 40 creators will be showcasing some of the best video game-inspired artwork, accessories and fan creations.
- Some of Asia’s best indie developers will be at Founders Base to showcase their work! You’ll be seeing GameStart partners like Taipei Game Show (Taiwan), Busan Indie Connect (BIC) Festival (Korea), Game Prime Asia (Indonesia) and BitSummit (Japan), including Myanmar and China presence.
- GameStart 2019 FIFA 20 Championship:Organized by FIFA veteran Xtr3me3 and Eliphant, the annual event returns with a prize pool of SGD3,500, sponsored by MyRepublic GAMER and Armaggeddon.
- Mobile Legends: Bang Bang and League of Legends tournaments under MyRepublic GAMER’s tournament series.
- Pixel Battle Ultimate Challenge: From GameStart’s own mobile game – which received a big content update in August 2019 – is a fun challenge for players! Daily winners will win a Secretlab gaming chair and GameStart swag.
Let’s not forget the guests! Meet industry talents within the gaming industry, and witness their skills and insight in person at GameStart 2019! Veteran game producers and talented creatives will be present. Get inspired! The first wave of guests include:
- Takashi Tokita: Veteran producer from Square Enix, Creative Producer of Tokyo RPG Factory, will be presenting his new game, ONINAKI, on GameStart’s Main Stage 12 October. Join his special talk session on his 30+ years of experience in game development to ask him questions in a more intimate setting. Limited seats, register here.
- Luna Lorrain: The violinist will be in Singapore for the first time to perform her renditions of beloved game and anime songs on the GameStart Main Stage. She’s been performing at some of the biggest ACG (anime, comic and game) events in Southeast Asia.
- Richard Suwono: This digital artist and illustrator is massive fan of fighting games. His unique artstyle has shown off characters from various fighting game franchises. Meet him at the SEA MAJOR zone and purchase 2 exclusive T-shirt designs by Richard for GameStart/SEA MAJOR 2019!
- V.K.: This Taiwanese pianist is best known for his compositions in Deemo, a successful music game developed by Rayark Games. Catch him on the GameStart Main Stage 12 October.
Riiyuukii Cosplay and up-and-coming model Yuuno will be making appearances as Alyse – GameStart’s mascot – and a new Nemesis character to Alyse respectively.
After all that fun, replenish your HP/MP or just plain celebrate at The Sanctuary. Lion City Meadery, a home-grown mead company, has curated this area. Partake in six delectable food stalls, a range of award-winning mead and a selection of Canadian Craft Beer. Your tummies will surely be filled and your thirst quenched.
The Sanctuary is just close by to the Tabletop Zone, so players can chow down while contemplating their next moves. Get attractive prizes by completing quest cards. Perform activities at selected booths, with Armaggeddon returning as Official Quest Sponsor.
GameStart will hand over the reigns to Gamescom Asia in Singapore, and work closely with Koelnmesse Singapore to build on the current gaming community that we have established over the years. When we started in 2014, my team and I set out to put Singapore and Southeast Asia on the map for gaming.The partnership is an exciting milestone and I’d like to think that what we’ve done and achieved has helped create this opportunity, no matter how small a part we’ve played.For now, the team is hard at work putting the finishing touches to GameStart 2019, with special announcements and activities lined up to thank the community – fans and partners alike – with the best experience ever. We hope that everyone can come and join us.