Rumor has been going around that Rocksteady is making a Superman game for consoles since last year. If you don’t know yet, Rocksteady is the studio that gave us the Arkham game series and they are about to announce a Superman game prior to this year’s E3. This is backed with a recent leak by an anonymous 4Chan member has given a list of details that are quite convincing.
- Made by Rocksteady
- Unreal Engine 4
- Big open world Metropolis(about 3 times the size of Arkham Knight with a lot more buildings)
- Can’t play as Clark Kent
- Main villain is Brainiac
- Nerfed Superman (TAS Levels)
- Semi-destructible environments(think [Arkham Knight], no buildings are falling over)
- Combat system integrates the flying (kind of like DBZ, you can punch someone then zoom towards them and repeat)
- Set within the Arkhamverse
- Tons of easter eggs to Superman’s lore, and some to the events that took place in the Batman Arkham Franchise
- Rocksteady and WB Montreal are also working on a joint multiplayer game (Hence the multiplayer hirings on Rocksteady’s site).
- This is for a planned Justice League game down the road. They had to nail Superman first.
- Announcement should be incoming about a couple weeks before E3 2018.
If you’re having some doubts about it, here’s a tweet from the Head of Marketing of Rocksteady back in September 2017.
Be patient, fans. I know we’re not talking right now… but when we do, people are going to lose their minds. Can’t wait 😀
— Gaz @ Rocksteady (@GazDeaves) September 28, 2017
Now that months have gone by since the tweet with E3 coming soon in less than a month, we could expect some footage or gameplay by this time. However there’s no news from Rocksteady yet so this rumor might just turned out to be fake news. But with Superman being an iconic character from the DC universe and has impacted the game industries, a Superman game isn’t too farfetched. So with the knowledge on these details, we can have some sort of expectation but just not enough to jump onto the bandwagon.